Prologue—an outline of the coming action in a dramatic work. It also highlights key themes, such as:
Love conflict power time fate two entities life & death
1. What events are foreshadowed in the prologue?
2. Describe the tone of the poem. Provide three examples as support.
3. Identify how the theme of fate is expressed in different words in the prologue.
4. Right from the start, it is clear that love in the play could be the victim of conflict. Quickly make a list of words or phrases about love and another list of words expressing conflict. What do you notice about the lists?
5. The theme of two entities is very important in R&J because many of the issues are a result of the rivalry between the two families. List the “two” words from the prologue.
Read Romeo & Juliet I.i