Juliet, the Nurse, and her mom chat about Count Paris...Judge a book by it's cover!
Reread Act 1, scene 1, line 206-209 (Romeo to Benvolio)
1. Why will Rosaline “not be hit with cupid’s arrows”? (I.i.206-207)
2. What is the relationship between Romeo and Rosaline?
Quick Write #1: Do Romeo and Rosaline feel the same way about their relationship? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Quick Write #2: What can you infer about Romeo from the way that he describes Rosaline? Consider both form (how Romeo speaks) and content (what he says). Cite specific evidence from the text to support your response.
4. Now that you've taken a closer look at lines 209-212, dig deeper. Can you find other evidence in the text to support the claim you made in your Quick Write?
5. What is Romeo’s courtship of Rosaline compared to? Cite evidence from the text to support your answer.
6. What do these comparisons reveal about how Romeo understand himself? What do they reveal about how he understands Rosaline?
7. How does Romeo’s speech compare to Benvolio’s? Hint: consider diction (word choice), pacing, and structure.
8. What can the difference you identified with your partner reveal about these two characters?
9. Look carefully back through the entire excerpt. What does Romeo use repeatedly? Underline them.
10. Why do you think Romeo is pursuing Rosaline? What words or lines in the text make you think so?
11. What is Benvolio’s advice to Romeo? What does this suggest about his attitude towards Romeo’s infatuation with Rosaline?